Ohio Concrete offers online webinars to educate and inform the concrete construction community on a variety of popular industry topics. The webinars are delivered by Ohio Concrete staff and industry experts and provide an easy and affordable way to obtain continuing education credits.
Advances in Concrete Technology with Jay Whitt
May 5, 2021 | 12:00 – 1:00 PM [ET]
Is concrete exciting? Even innovative? The most widely used manufactured product in the world that hails history from Roman times, has experienced advances driven by creating solutions to our expanding infrastructure. These changes create and push on common practices to bring an excitement in civil engineering as this material is implemented and designed for applications to improve and possibly provide efficient, lasting, alternative options. The Innovations in Concrete presentation can only briefly touch on some of these advances in the world of concrete over the last few decades as innovation continues to be implemented into construction to adopt to our design demands.
Jay Whitt is with Lehigh Cement as a technical service engineer in this local region, including Ohio and Indiana region. He has been in the cement and concrete industry since 2000 specializing in providing product technical support to customers while managing innovative portfolios including research, lab testing, and customer implementation. He is active in ACI National committees on Hydraulic Cement, Slag Cement, and Mass Concrete. Jay earned a BS and MS in Civil Engineering from the University of Akron where he co-opted with ODOT construction in District #4, completed research in Slag Cement, and raced concrete canoes.
Making the Switch: The Business Case for Building with Insulated Concrete Forms Multifamily
Apr 22, 2021 |12:00 – 1:00 PM [ET]
Presented by: Ryan Bedford, Bedford Development [1 CPD or AIA HSW Credit Hour ]
This presentation provides firsthand insight on the business case for building multifamily projects with concrete. Cost comparisons will be presented that demonstrate the return on investment from both a first cost perspective and long- term income strategy
COVID Impact to ODOT’s Global Transportation Budgets and Program Planning
Wednesday, April 14, 2021 | 1:00-2:00 PM [ET]
How has ODOT been impacted by an unprecedented 2020, and how are they responding to make sure they maintain the world class transportation system we have all come to expect? We invite you to listen in as ODOT presents the financial impacts of reduced travel, relief bills and the rapidly changing climate of transportation. Also, come to understand how increased asset monitoring, real time data, management systems, electrification, and e-commerce are transforming the industry and our future.
- Sara Downs, ODOT Chief Financial Officer (CFO) within the Division of Finance
- Tim McDonald, ODOT Administrator for the Office of Program Management and Acting Deputy Director of Planning
Designing Competitive Pavements for Industrial Facilities in 2021; Asphalt Versus Concrete
March 25, 2021 | 1:00 – 2:00 PM [ET]
Ohio Concrete is presenting a designing competitive asphalt pavements for industrial facilities webinar, in conjunction with the State of Illinois Ready Mix Association, to highlight asphalt designed to carry an expected load for a greater number of years. Specifically, we characterize an industrial pavement as one that carries at least one truck per day. The expected outcome from the webinar is to have an asphalt and concrete comparison that is more “apples-to-apples” not only from a load carrying capacity but also a costing standpoint. This provides you and your clients a greater ability to make educated decisions on which pavement meets the needs of their facility. The speakers are based in the asphalt industry. One is a peer, an engineer who has been designing asphalt pavements for some years and the second an individual who has been in the asphalt industry maintaining asphalt pavements.
Mike Harrell, Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Durable & Watertight Concrete Infrastructure
March 23, 2021 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM [ET]
Presented by: Sam Lines, Engineering Manager for Concrete Sealants, Inc.
- Explore characteristics of microbially induced corrosion of concrete (MICC).
- Why MICC is prevalent in some areas and why it seems to occur more often.
- Get the latest information on scientific testing and the new ASTM standards available.
- Learn about the enhancements to concrete that may provide a 100 year service life.
- See examples where the ConSeal suite of products are in use to add longevity to sewer systems.
Ohio Concrete Environmental Compliance Webinar
March 18, 2021 | 9:30 -11:30 am [ET]
Presented by: R. Curt Spence, P.E., Spence Environmental Consulting, Inc.
Evaluation of Low Strength Concrete Cylinders & Cores – Bad Testing or Bad Concrete?
Presented by: Jeff Groom, Senior Principal Engineer at CTL|Thompson Materials Engineers Denver, CO
March 3, 2021
Inaccurate test results have major impacts to construction projects from extended schedule, reduced pay factors, and potential removal and replacement costs. In this webinar we’ll discuss what a low strength result is, testing practices that lower the potential for inaccurate test results, and what tools are available to determine in-place strength.
OC Member’s Only Winter Educational Webinar, hosted by The Euclid Chemical Company
January 21, 2021 featuring:
- Dotting the I’s and Crossing the T’s for Durable Concrete Pavements – Dr. Jason Weiss, Edwards Distinguished Professor, Oregon State University [BIO]
- Concrete as a Solution to Sustainability Targets – Jeremy Gregory, PE – Research Scientist, Executive Director, Concrete Sustainability Hub, MIT [BIO]
- Ohio Political Update from Ohio Lieutenant Governor, Jon Husted [BIO]
Featuring Q&A with Ohio State Senator, Stephanie Kunze [BIO] and OC Government Affairs Consultant, Joel Riter
- Cyber Security Prevention – Timothy Dimoff – President, Sacs Consulting & Investigative Services, Inc. [BIO]
- State of the Economy – Dr. Richard Vedder, Professor Emeritus of Economics at Ohio University [BIO]
To view presentations from the webinar, login to the MEMBERS ONLY section
2020 Ohio Concrete Fall Webinar Series
[7 webinars | October – December 2020]
CLICK HERE TO VIEW INFORMATION ON THIS SERIES
Premature Joint Deterioration in Concrete Pavements
[60 min | 05/04/2020 | 3:30 – 4:30 PM [ET]
Presented by: Jason Weiss, Professor and Head of the School of Civil and Construction Engineering The Miles Lowell and Margaret Watt Edwards Distinguished Chair in Engineering Director of the Kiewit Center for Infrastructure and Transportation Research
Concrete pavements and flatwork generally provide excellent performance in all climates and exposures. However, in recent years, the industry has seen an increase in premature deterioration at joints and saw cuts in concrete pavements and flatwork in areas where winter storm events demand the application of deicing chemicals, which are most commonly chloride-based. This talk will discuss some of the recent changes in salting practices and how they can exacerbate this issue. Guidance will be provided as to how to improve the performance of the concrete in these challenging environments.
Concrete as a Sustainability Solution
60 minutes 04/15/2020/3:30 pm [ET]
Featuring Jeremy Gregory, Executive Director, Concrete Sustainability Hub, Research Scientist, MIT Civil and Environmental Engineering
How to Get Involved in Government Affairs
30 minutes |10/17/2019/10:30 am [ET]
Featuring: State Senator Rob McColley
Presented by Joel Riter, Ohio Concrete Government Affairs Consultant. Mr. Riter will provide an in-depth look into Ohio Concrete Government Affairs including:
- Introduction to Ohio Concrete Government Affairs
- Main Policy Issues
- OC Political Action Committee
- Political Involvement
- Interview with State Senator Rob McColley
Hot Weather Concreting – Effects, Mixture & Placement Adjustments/Tips
30 minutes |08/15/2019/10:3o am [ET]
1. Learn the effects of hot weather on concrete properties
2. Understand the necessary adjustment options to control elevated concrete temperatures
3. Implement recommended placement procedures during hot weather
4. Controls and procedures for successful, durable concrete
Cold Weather Concreting – In the Spring
30 minutes |03/18/2019 | 11:oo am [ET]
- Define cold weather concrete
- Provide Specification Guidelines
- Identify Concrete Mixture Adjustments
- Describe Protection and Curing Procedures
- Explain the Impacts on Strength Testing
How to Build Scale Resistant Concrete in Ohio
30 minutes | 07/25/2018 | 11:00 am [ET]
- Define what is a scaling concrete surface,
- Identify the common causes for scaling exterior surfaces,
- Explain how to minimize the potential for scaling in Ohio, and
- Offer repair treatment options when scaling does occur