Event Commemorates Replica of Test Strip for Original Concrete Street
You are invited to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony in recognition of a replica of the historic concrete test strip placed in 1891 prior to the construction of America’s first concrete street. The replica was designed as part of a project to revitalize the downtown area in Bellefontaine, Ohio. The original test strip, built by George Bartholomew, set the stage for the construction of the first-ever concrete street.
Details about the event follow:
- Date: Wednesday, July 12, 2017
- Time: Event begins at 11:30 a.m. (Eastern)
- Location: 100 block of Main Street, Bellefontaine, Ohio
In addition to the ribbon-cutting ceremony, formal remarks will be presented by: The Honorable R. Benjamin Stahler, Mayor of Bellefontaine; ACPA President and CEO Jerry Voigt; Great Lakes Cement Promotion Council Executive Director Ray McVeigh; and Ohio Concrete Association Executive Director Greg Colvin. Kate Quickel (great-great granddaughter of George Bartholomew) will represent family members attending the event, and also will provide remarks.
Attendance is free of charge, but registration is required. Please RSVP to Amy Fimple Ohio Concrete/Ohio Chapter ACPA at 614.891.0210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional details, please click here to download an event flyer.
This project and this special event were made possible by the generous contributions of the following organizations and individuals:
- The American Concrete Pavement Association
- ACPA Chapter/State Paving Associations
- Great Lakes Cement Promotion Council (Buzzi Unicem Cement Co., CEMEX, Continental Cement Co., Lehigh Hanson, St. Marys Cement Co.)
- City of Bellefontaine,Ohio
- Ohio Ready Mix, Inc.
- St. Marys Cement, Inc.
- Yoder Concrete Construction, LLC
- Greg Colvin, Ohio Concrete Association
- Bill Davenport, ACPA
- Mark Pardi, Ohio Chapter ACPA
- Larry Scofield, IGGA/ACPA
- Kurt Smith, Applied Pavement Technology
- Shiraz Tayabji, Applied Research Associates